Here's another group post, we have had a long time in between these, but we are back! Kyle has the list of all the others who are posting so check her blog and everyone elses!!
Why did this Minnesota country girl move to one of the largest Spanish speaking cities in the world?
LOVE. The best movie quote ever from the best movie ever, "The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love and be loved in return!"
My journey of love brought me to Chile. If I had never met Rodrigo, I would never ever have come to Chile. Never. It wasn't even on my dream list of places to go in this big world of ours. When I met Rodrigo in Montana in January of 2007, I had no idea I would end up here. I told myself over and over again, I fought the thoughts in mind, and as much as I didn't want to fall in love with this guy because of the chance that when he left the US I would never see him again, I did. I now look back in my journal and see the fight with myself that I wrote down and laugh. First of all I laugh that I spelled Chile with an "i"....Chili, like the soup. After dating Rodrigo for a few months, if you can call it that I call it spending every single day and night together, but we never really went on "dates," Rodrigo had to go back to Chile. He changed his flight to a later date in March so that he could stay with me longer, but he couldn't stay forever. I knew this, this was the biggest thing my mind fought over. The day came. March 29th I drove Rodrigo to the airport. I brought him in, I sat on the bench with him and I bawled my eyes out when I had to say goodbye to him. It hurt so much. My mind was fighting back in forth with the idea of him never coming back and with the idea of me going to Chile to be with him. Well, obviously my mind didn't go to the darkside. I left Montana the next day. I packed everything I had into my car. I even took apart Rodrigo's bike and brought that with me. When I left Bozeman, I was sad. Sad that I was leaving my friends and this little city that just had a perfect way of life. I moved back in with my parents and worked. I worked overnights at Shopko and then worked an evening shift at McDonalds. I worked and worked. In fact the only memory that I really have from April to July in 07 is the day my best friend in Bozeman died and I had to go to Montana again. This of course threw me back a bit on the money to get to Chile, but I just had to leave a month later than I wanted. I talked to Rodrigo almost every single day on messenger. We talked on the phone maybe once a month. And then I bought my ticket. My very very first plane ticket ever. At 18 the first time I ever left the country was to go all the way to Chile. In case you would like to know how much it costed, it was exactly $870.90. Exactly. So I was off to Chile on July 10th. Rodrigo and a couple friends picked me up at the airport. I met his family that day, his dad's side was at the house when we got there with lots of snacks and hugs and kisses on the cheek. We took a nap because I was beat. Rodrigo was also tired because he didn't sleep at all the night before I left. So we napped and then went to meet his mom's side of the family. I spent 3 months in Chile. We didn't do a whole lot besides spend as much time together as we possibly could. I didn't work and Ro just had a few classes a week that he went to. I left Chile in October with the hopes that Rodrigo would come to the US and visit me. That never happened, he couldn't get the visa. So I was off to Chile again. This time a more permanent move. I came back down here in January of 2008 and have been living here ever since. We bought our first puppy together and this time I had a job. I went to Minnesota for a little visit in July, just 10 days. We were married on September 2nd. I went to the US for a month over Christmas and now I am here.
When will I leave?? Will I leave??
Well the technical answer is yeah, I will leave. On June 1st I will leave Chile to go to Minnesota for MY summer and hopefully if my husband gets his little ass moving, he will be going with me. But this isn't a permanent leave. I will be back in Chile at the end of September. Right now I know that I don't want to stay in Chile forever. I can't do it. I want to have children, but I do not at all want to raise them here in Chile. So, after Rodrigo finishes college, hopefully we will be able to move to the US so we can start a family. There is only so much I can handle about this country. If we stay here, there is no way we will ever really be above, we may always just make it paycheck to paycheck, which means, I can't have the 5 children that I want, and we wouldn't be able to afford going to the US to visit, ever. The when is the only question that needs to be answered. And with that we aren't sure at all.
8 comments:
Long distance relationships are so very hard. Glad you and Rodrigo were able to get back together in the end, even if living here has given you a love/hate relationship with the country.
That's so cute that you remember exactly how much your ticket cost. Are you having fun planning to be back in Minnesota in June? I loooove the summer there. Well, except for the mosquitoes.
Kyle- Long distance is very difficult, I am glad I got through that though.
Sara- Yeah, I like to just look back at how cheap a ticket was especially one bought straight from Delta a month in advance! I love Minnesota summer and I can't wait!!!
What was he doing in the states?
Clare- Rodrigo was on a work exchange program in Montana. He went to his interview here in Chile late and the only option he had left was working at McDs. Lucky me!!
Agreed. Minnesota summers rock.
You two are troopers for making things work between you! Your hard work shows, I'm glad you are happy and together.
Not a blogger myself, but I love all the gringas in Chile blogs! I am just wondering, how many Midwest/Minnesota girls are down here and in love? There must be something magical going on between Minnesota women and Chilean men!
Post a Comment